Back to forum

Newbie.... few questions

Author Comments

JayUK26

Spectator

7 posts

Tuesday 24th July 2007 at 18:15

Hi, excellent forum you have here!

So, as mentioned in the title I am completely new to Ju jitsu. I have been looking around for a martial arts club in my local area for some time but never really got round to pin-pointing a style I wanted to pursue. I have just quit smoking and I thought that now would be a good time to look into it more seriously.
Anyway, I have found two traditional jujitsu clubs and I am now keen to go along and get started, I'm actually very excited. I thought that before I went along I would ask a few questions on this forum that have been playing on my mind.....

what is the basic difference between tradional and other forms of jujitsu?

Is there a good book or DVD that you can recommend for beginners of Jujitsu?

and.....

A problem that I have been worrying about....... I have recently been on holiday and I have managed to pick up a couple of Veruccas! Not too happy about it as I'm eager to join up! I realise that training will involve me being barefoot, which is probably the norm? What would you suggest in my situation? What do others do that have got Veruccas? I was thinking of wearing a sock or something but I'm not sure if Id be allowed in a Dojo? Perhaps I should just wait until they have been treated and then start?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 25th July 2007 at 00:13

Hey Jay,

Welcome to the site, and the forum, it's always good to get a new poster!

First of all, let's deal with the Veruccas... get em dealed with first. I can't see that taking too long, maybe a week?

If you're that keen, give the club(s) a call and see it they'd be okay with a sock, does no harm to ask.

It's good to see you'd think about wearing a sock (god knows how many people don't and don't worry about it).

By your question of 'other' Jujitsu styles, I guess you're talking about Brazilian? Well, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is more ground-grappling, a bit like Judo after the throw.

Traditional Ju-Jitsu will probably be more enjoyable to you if you're just starting out, since it involves a bit of everything from kicks, punches, blocks, throws, weapons, and of course, ground-grappling.

I can't really suggest a good book or video for traditional Jujitsu, I think the name of the game is to just get yourself to a class and start doing it.

You can't really learn without an instructor anyway, so I'd leave the books and video's alone for a few months while you find your feet.

Hope that's been of some help.

The Admin Guy

JayUK26

Spectator

7 posts

Wednesday 25th July 2007 at 12:29

Thanks Robsco for your reply, very much appreciated!

I will take your advice on board and I think it may be best to treat the Verrucas first. Better to start off on a good footing (excuse the pun) :-)

Thanks again, and I look forward to posting more on the forum,

cheers.

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Friday 27th July 2007 at 13:14

Welcome to the wonderful world of ju-jitsu!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

JayUK26

Spectator

7 posts

Saturday 28th July 2007 at 10:54

Thanks Mobstarr!

Just out of interest Mobstarr, I notice that you are a blackbelt, how long does it take to reach that level? I will be looking at training twice a week.

Regards,

J

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Saturday 28th July 2007 at 18:52

No worries, well it took me twelve years but thats due to training on and off but if you stick at it can take a lot shorter time than that. It also depends on the individual really, most people I know and train with anything from 7-12 years.

Hope you enjoy it anyway!
Regards
Mob$tarr

www.pmaa.co.uk

JayUK26

Spectator

7 posts

Sunday 29th July 2007 at 10:47

Thanks Mobstarr, much appreciated mate,

J

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Monday 30th July 2007 at 14:14

No problem, wanna know anything else just ask!

Mob$tarr

www.pmaa.co.uk

JayUK26

Spectator

7 posts

Monday 30th July 2007 at 16:05

Cheers m8!

Question for Robsco: having read through quite a few of the posts on here I notice that you mentioned you live near Heathrow. I was just wondering if you knew of any Ju jitsu clubs that you can recommend in Hampshire, preferrably Southampton or Winchester areas? Cheers.

JayUK26

Spectator

7 posts

Monday 30th July 2007 at 20:17

Another thing I was curious about is:

As a beginner or someone training in Ju jitsu in general, is it compulsary to compete? I mean is it expected for a member of a club to enter into competitions? The reason I ask is because I am really planning to start training to build self-confidence, improve my fitness etc.

Cheers guys and I look forward to your reply,

J

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 30th July 2007 at 21:32

No club should 'expect' students to compete, like as you pointed out, different people train for different reasons.

Giving the opportunity is one thing, but demanding or pushing for such things is a bit daft.

The Admin Guy

Jitsu-Jew

11 posts

Monday 30th July 2007 at 22:30

I personally began competing to test my skills and give me some sort of goal to reach. I got board doing it for the "fitness" of it and needed that competitive aspect. You usually practice with the same guys at the school. Competition allows you to go against different individuals and styles.

Your toughest opponent is always your best effort.

JayUK26

Spectator

7 posts

Tuesday 31st July 2007 at 12:55

Thanks guys.

Robsco can you help with my query in the 5th post up at all? ^

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Tuesday 31st July 2007 at 16:48

Most clubs will let the choice up to the individual whether they wanna compete or not, you can't be forced into it. I mean I've been at it for just over twelve years and have just got my first competition in a few weeks.

Mob$tarr

www.pmaa.co.uk