Back to forum

Why are my throws not working?

Author Comments

penjuin

Spectator

2 posts

Thursday 26th July 2007 at 12:42

I've been actively practicing Japanese style ju jitsu for about half a year now, and although my throws are reasonable, I can't get the same effect as many of the other students. I have a very good instructor and have put lots of practice in, but it feels like I am missing something. My throws feel less like throws and more like pickup-push-drop (for lack of better word) kind of things. Is there some trick to throws that I am missing?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me!

-jeremy

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 27th July 2007 at 00:31

I think we've all struggled with throws at the beginning, and even after 6 months you may still be struggling.

All I can think of is to think about how the body works, how you get the momentum, etc.

When you say you practice, have you tried a good 2 minutes throwing eachother constantly? This will soon show you where you may be going wrong.

The Admin Guy

green sid

Spectator

33 posts

Friday 27th July 2007 at 11:26

Throwing and being thrown takes quite a while to get used to. The main problem for beginners is stiff arming and not relaxing while being thrown.The cure is keep practising and one day it will all come right for you. Different body shapes can play a part as well and some throws may be difficult against certain body shapes and sizes although there is a throw out there for everyone.

Dopeman

Spectator

9 posts

Friday 27th July 2007 at 12:09

make sure you are looking around, it's not enough to just turn your body, turn your head to look behind you.
so when you've ggot them on your back, just turn your head to look behind and they will just go over you, simple!

"The first and greatest Commandment is, don't let them scare you"

penjuin

Spectator

2 posts

Saturday 28th July 2007 at 10:09

Thanks for the tips guys, I have the uke stuff down and have organized for some extra time at the dojo to advance my throwing technique.

Cheers again,
Jeremy

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Sunday 29th July 2007 at 22:50

Twist more with your hips, it's harder for your partner to stay balanced if being moved side to side and it's very easy for you to.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

PJ

Spectator

3 posts

Wednesday 1st August 2007 at 18:21

2 words: circular motion

Ippon

Spectator

6 posts

Friday 17th August 2007 at 09:56

My instructor is always saying that if you can't seem to throw someone, bend your knees a bit, and launch your rear end backwards into them while bending over, she called it the "bum punch" - works like a charm.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Sunday 19th August 2007 at 11:10

Depends on the throw? What body type are you and your partner?

For all hip throws, pull them off balance towards you as you turn into them, keeping their arm high, get your hips perfectly square with theirs, your feet close together between theirs. Bent knees so your belt is below theirs, keep pulling so that their weight is over you as you lock the arm you're holding against your chest. Keeping them tight against you and your back straight as you lean forwards, load them on to you and staighten your legs to squat them clear of the ground. Look in the direction you turn with your whole upper body. Consentrate on that arm you've got clamped and fling them onto the ground.

Master this, sometimes just practise the turn in and lift. Once it's second nature, all one movement, work on speed and power of your lift and unload.

von k

Spectator

30 posts

Sunday 19th August 2007 at 15:23

The way to get your throws working is take up judo. I started out doing just jujitsu and had the same problem with throws and falling. My sensei said we should join judo class he recommend, well it was one of best decisions of my life, jujitsu 2x judo 2x a week. Everything get better,like go to beginning again - fitness, throws, breakfalls (me number 1),groundwork, strangles and randori/freefighting to practise. Just my advice.

Work hard, train hard, play hard.

Andy MMA

Spectator

14 posts

Wednesday 5th September 2007 at 15:23

The best technique in the world is no good unless you have taken you opponents balance and upset their posture. Beginners usually fail at throws because they are not comfortable with pulling and pushing their opponent off balance.

Train Hard

Bryce Doherty

Spectator

10 posts

Monday 17th September 2007 at 11:00

I agree, don't be scared to yank your uki off balance and really go for it. To train your uki should be relaxed to aid the throw. Then they start dropping the weight when you've got it.

A sure sign to know you have bad form is back pain. I had it for a while until I made adjustments. Lift from the legs and all tha'.

"Shear blunt trauma, followed by technical form!"