Back to forum

Three questions...

Author Comments

PJ

Spectator

3 posts

Wednesday 1st August 2007 at 17:49

1. Do jujitsu clubs hardly ever use strikes? I'd like to, if possible, practice a Martial art that offers plenty of throws, as well as plenty of strikes
2. Can you use full contact strikes in competition, or even semi-contact?
3. Why oh why oh why is there a "defence" shown from a rear "strangle" in such an unrealistic way (hence the speech marks) on this website? The strangle is nothing like the usual strangle you would get in a fight (the arm across throat one) and the defence does NOT work (I've tested it against a proper strangle - what does work though is a few elbows to the stomach). The dodgy "strangle" defence is here http://www.ultimatejujitsu.com/learn-jujitsu-techniques/traditional-jujitsu-techniques/white-belt/escape-back-strangle.shtml

Make that 4 questions: In the judo body drop (tai otoshi), good clubs teach you to turn your right foot inwards so there is less chance of injury if you don't manage to do the technique properly and the opponent falls on your leg (snappage!).. so why does this website teach that you should keep your leg STRAIGHT?

Dopeman

Spectator

9 posts

Friday 3rd August 2007 at 13:06

answers, 1. my club does strikes very rarely, so i'm starting to take up Muay Thai as well, so that i have a night dedicated to strikes, and another night dedicated to throws and groundwork. i don't know of many martial arts that will heavily concentrate on throws, groundwork and striking, try a mix of BJJ/Judo with boxing/kickboxing/muay thai
2. depends in which comps, i'm only doing my first one this sunday, and mine is a no striking, and i think that’s the way it is for all bjj comps, if it does involve striking then i reckon it would probably be more classed as MMA than BJJ
3.that choke, ok, the defence does work if they are standing close to you, and using the strangle indicated – the strangle you are referring to is a different type of strangle and so will be a different technique, maybe try something like -
as soon as you feel it come on, grab their attacking arm at the elbow feeding your hand in their so you can PULL at the elbow, and put your chin down into their arm to create a gap between there forearm and your neck, so you can breath, if their other arm is on the back/top of your head, use your free hand to pull it away. from here you should be able to struggle free from a standing position, or maybe try stamping on their foot with your heel, flipping your heel up into their crotch, and then dropping your body down and out of their hold - try that
4.diffrent clubs have different techniques - the best martial arts for throws is Judo - and the best for groundwork is BJJ, so take note of judo in throws and BJJ in groundwork.
*phew* - hope that is somewhat useful

"The first and greatest Commandment is, don't let them scare you"

Jitsu-Jew

11 posts

Saturday 4th August 2007 at 14:15

1 & 2) If your looking for the whole package (punching, kicking, throws and groundwork) your are looking for a MMA school and MMA competition. Your not really going to find a mix of techniques outside of MMA. I have found a pretty unique (only one I've heard of) fighting competition they call "Sport MMA" in Canada (Link: http://www.sportmmaonline.com/index-adult-sportmma.php) It like taking MMA down a notch.

As far as 3 & 4... You need to realize that techniques vary from instructor to instructor and from style to style. Be it a minor change like turning your foot or something completely different. Also several defences are for specific attacks. While you can say the defence for a puch is a block. Each on the punch and the block can be expanded into hundreds of techniques. Take them as they come and keep the ones that work for you.

Your toughest opponent is always your best effort.