Back to forum

Possibly starting Jujitsu, have questions

Author Comments

Vicco

Spectator

8 posts

Thursday 4th October 2007 at 06:42

There are a couple reasons why I want to start Jujitsu rather than Kung-fu, Tye Quan Doe, or things of that nature. I just need all of this clarified.

First of all I've heard that being big will help you in Jujitsu, this leads me to beleive that you don't need to be extremely flexible like you would have to be in kung fu. I'm really musclebound and this would be perfect for me rather than somthing where I would have to do flying kicks.

Is it true that there are no kicks or punches in Jujitsu? I'm going to be using this as a form of self defence, not for sport. In my line of work, I'm facing some tough guys on a daily basis and I need to make sure when I submit then they do not get up any time soon, and when they do get up they're in serious enough pain to where they don't want seconds.

How long will I be at this before I am at a point where I feel comfortable using these tekniques against someone who is trying to kill me?

Are there any intermediate/advanced moves where I can break someones arm or leg? I'm fond of disabling limbs in this fashion.

Thanks.

Dopeman

Spectator

9 posts

Thursday 4th October 2007 at 12:46

hey,

being big does help, although is not essential, someone with supiriour knowledge although smaller can win fights.

traditional jiu jitsu will teach you counters to punches and kicks (at my club we do traditional and BJJ) but at my club we do not do striking unless were doing MMA trainnig (Mixed Martial Arts) - so i've also taken up Thai Boxing. but you will learn many diffrent submissions, mainly from when your on the ground.

i've been doing BJJ for about a year or so now, and i would feel comfertable using it, i would have felt comfertable using some of the techniqes within a month or so as most are easy to learn, they tend to take time to perfect - but if someones trying to kill you it depends it what mannot as to how much trainning you've had, for example at my club we do very little self defence from a knife.

yeah there is loads of subs in breaking someones arm or leg, but bear in mind that if you are in a street fight and you did use that kind of force you may likely end up on the wrong side of the law, but i'm no lawyer so i'm not sure but i would try to do everything but break them in half, i would only do that as a last resort!

hope this helps.

"The first and greatest Commandment is, don't let them scare you"

Vicco

Spectator

8 posts

Thursday 4th October 2007 at 17:19

Ok so BJJ is the one where you do kicks and punches, and traditional is just grapling?

BTW I'm a gaurd at a maximum security prison. Prettymuch legal if I want to break an inmates arm who'se attacking me.

Robsco

1319 posts

Thursday 4th October 2007 at 22:25

BJJ/Traditional is t'other way round.

The Admin Guy

Vicco

Spectator

8 posts

Friday 5th October 2007 at 03:13

So traditional has kicks and punches? Traditional is the one I want?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 5th October 2007 at 13:12

trad has kicks and punches but i'd do brazilian

"no weapon formed against me shall prosper"

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Friday 5th October 2007 at 17:52

If the reason you wanna learn is for self defence the i'd do traditional ourtof the two, you've got your locking techniques in with traditional aswell at least in my experience thats what i've been taught/ teach!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

Vicco

Spectator

8 posts

Friday 5th October 2007 at 18:07

I've seen videos on the internet of people locking eachother up and elbowing eachother in the head. But I also saw a video of someone in the Gracie family punching someone in the ribs.

It looks to me like BJJ has punches you can do while you're locked up on the ground. While traditional has punches you can do while standing up.

What is the overall difference between the two? Is traditional weak when it comes to takedowns and locks? I kinda thought everything Jujitsu would be pretty strong in that area.

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 5th October 2007 at 18:33

Traditional usually includes punches, kicks, blocks, locks, throws, ground-grappling, and weapons. Some clubs may train in some or all of those.

BJJ primarily concentrates on the throws & takedowns, and ground-grappling.

The video you saw of a Gracie was probably a No-Holds-Barred fight, so anything goes, and it'd be a bit daft not to throw in some strikes given the opportunity.

Traditional Ju-Jitsu will (or rather should, depending on the club) give you a good base in all area's, many people get into BJJ after learning traditional Ju-Jitsu, or coming from another style that's primarily stand-up work, and are looking for a change.

The Admin Guy

andy

Resident

729 posts

Friday 5th October 2007 at 21:41

BJJ is a refined version of Japanese ju jitsu.

All the self defence locks you learn in japanese ju jitsu you learn simplified, more effective versions in BJJ.

Vicco

Spectator

8 posts

Friday 5th October 2007 at 22:04

Ok so in BJJ the locks and takedowns are better, but that's all it is. In traditional you get a wide range of tequniques. Is it possible to take out multiple opponents using nothing but locks and takedowns?

andy

Resident

729 posts

Saturday 6th October 2007 at 20:33

you cant take on multiple attackers

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Saturday 6th October 2007 at 20:47

Could you not just go to a lesson of each and get a real taste of what its about, then u'll know what would be more beneficial for you. We can only give u our interpretation of the art and how we've been taught it!

www.pmaa.co.uk

Vicco

Spectator

8 posts

Saturday 6th October 2007 at 22:29

Ok I will do that lol. I've decided on traditional after browsing this site a bit. Might mix some BJJ in with it later. But one of the weapons I noticed is the same weapon they give me at work, which is awesome. Defonitly going to have to learn that. Thanks for the help guys.

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Sunday 7th October 2007 at 13:18

Wise choice :), hope you enjoy!!

www.pmaa.co.uk

Kangaroo Jujitsu

Spectator

1 posts

Monday 8th October 2007 at 03:50

I would recommend starting with traditional and taking it from there, as traditional will give you a more rounded platform in the different parts of martial arts in general (ie it will intro you to strikes, blocks, throws, submissions, etc).

This is certainly how I started - I got myself a solid 'base' in traditional and, in doing so, found I had a natural ability with (and love of) ground work and so have recently started training in BJJ (as an addition to, rather than insead of, my tradition JJ).

Small bit of advice though mate - take your time and enjoy - the techniques of any fighting art can feel strange at first so need a little time to get them right/effective - if you expect to be a master in a couple of months you'll get frustrated and negative, but if you're patient and practice regularly you'll soon build an arsonal of useable skills.

Good luck,

Roo

Ps This is my first post here - Big "G'day" from down under ladies and gents - hopefully I'll be able to contribute some useful stuff...and learn of course!

Just tap and it'll all be better mate!