Back to forum

beginner

Author Comments

mark spensley

Spectator

1 posts

Thursday 4th October 2007 at 21:46

Just started ju jitsu, had one lesson. Been a bodybuilder for some time, but getting older and seem to be getting more injuries. Trained in kick boxing for 2 years back in 1983 and taekwondo for 3 years in 1993. The only thing i do now is train on a punch bag. My kicks are very poor and i have not got the skill i once had. Lost my confidence back in 1995 after a thug stabbed me with a knife. Before this i did not really fear any trouble, but now have not got a lot of confidence. Im 42 and have a love for martial arts. am i to old to become half decent at the art of jujitsu. Since my first lesson i have practiced a lot on getting out of stranles and a wrist lock. Tried it on my 22 stone training partner, but must of not had enough practice, he did not seem to bothered.

main reason for my interest in jujits is, how effective you can be in self defence a big worry of mine especially in todays society.

THANKS MARK

markaspensley

von k

Spectator

30 posts

Saturday 6th October 2007 at 00:44

I don't think that forty two is too old to start Jujitsu and even to become half decent. Of course it wont happen overnight but will take a few years of training. Dont be concerned after only one lesson that you are having trouble with techniques, it will all come with time. Enjoy your journey.

Work hard, train hard, play hard.

von k

Spectator

30 posts

Saturday 6th October 2007 at 00:58

Just like to say for self defence Jujitsu/BJJ are an excellent choice.

Work hard, train hard, play hard.

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Saturday 6th October 2007 at 20:50

Everything will come with time, its good to hear you're serious about it though with going over the same techniques. Master the basics and your almost there.

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

Robsco

1319 posts

Saturday 6th October 2007 at 21:41

Hey Mark,

Keep practising. As others have said, it won't happen overnight, but you may be surprised just how quickly it does start to sink in, it did with me, but I was young at the time, not sure if age comes into that.

Practising the techniques at home, even alone, will help greatly, I did that a lot when learning traditional Ju-Jitsu (and it helped a LOT with my own self-confidence), it's something the Kung Fu lot call "muscle memory", being able to perform a technique without even thinking about it.

With everything, as I'm sure you know, it takes experience, although I wouldn't think it'd take "years" to get even half-decent, give it 6 months and I think you'll be surprised, especially if you're putting as much into it as you say.

The Admin Guy

snortbrick

Spectator

2 posts

Wednesday 24th October 2007 at 17:16

Do some of the techniques vary from club to club?

Payload

Spectator

12 posts

Saturday 3rd November 2007 at 08:08

from what i have seen yes. Its going to depend on who and where your instructor(s) have learnt from, how traditional they are etc. as well as what sort of grading syllabus the school follows.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."

Rock

Spectator

11 posts

Saturday 3rd November 2007 at 12:33

Never too old! I'm 37 years young and although it was tough goin at first ( still a novice)after conditioning was taken out of the equation things became alot easier. Lose the bulk..will also make things easier. I dropped from 210lbs (5'10") to a ripped 185lbs and altered my gym routine as follows. Lighter weight (still somewhat heavy after all i'm not a wuss..lol) combined with Plyometrics and a stringent cardio program (three minute rounds full out with one minute slower rate/rest on eliptical) has done wonders. I train at the Dojo twice week for regular classes and sneak in for solo workouts as often as I can. Trust me it will get easier. Hope this helps a bit. Not the law just my opinion.

Fumeiyo Yori Shi!

Nitram

Spectator

3 posts

Monday 5th November 2007 at 22:10

I have been wondering how long I can keep training; I'm now 45 and trained in Kick/Thai boxing for years; having my last fight when I was 36. I have not trained regularly in stand up skills in two years; apart from using a punch bag at home.

But having started BJJ (after a false start three years ago) I seem to be coping with the training. I wonder if it is possible to keep this up into my mid 50's? Maybe I should just take up golf..

A basic level of fitness from running twice a week, weights three times and various tennis/squash plus bag training has helped.

Anyone out there train into their 50's in a marital art with resistance type sparring?