Back to forum

Couture Quits

Author Comments

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Thursday 11th October 2007 at 21:53

At the height of its power and popularity, the Ultimate Fighting Championship today lost the man many recognize as the face of mixed martial arts. UFC heavyweight champion Randy Couture announced his resignation from the Las Vegas-based promotion, leaving two contracted fights, his job as an on-air analyst and his heavyweight crown on the table.

In South Africa shooting scenes for his lead role in the upcoming feature film “The Scorpion King ��" Rise of the Akkadian,” Couture made the announcement official in a letter to UFC president Dana White. The UFC’s inability to land PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko played a prominent role in the decision to walk away, according to Couture.

“I appreciate this opportunity the sport of MMA and the UFC has given me,” the UFC Hall-of-Famer said. “However, I’m tired of swimming upstream at this stage with the management of the UFC. It only makes sense at this point in my career to fight Fedor Emelianenko, and since he’s now signed with another organization, I feel like it’s time to resign and focus on my other endeavors.”

Noooo, what a kick in the face for Ufc!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 12th October 2007 at 01:54

True, but he is getting on a bit, it was starting to seem like someone was out-staying their welcome.

It's always a treat to see some of these guys come back, but that's what it should be, an occassional "come-back" rather than a regular feature, to keep everyone on their toes.

The Admin Guy

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Friday 12th October 2007 at 12:55

True I can understand why he quit, he was something like the fourth highest paid in the company, which ain't right really when he was top dog. Never mind he was an amazing fighter though!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

snortbrick

Spectator

2 posts

Wednesday 24th October 2007 at 18:10

Mmmm!