Back to forum

For home practise

Author Comments

RogierH

Spectator

2 posts

Wednesday 17th October 2007 at 20:10

Hey all,
I am just startig out in jujutsu. I have one lesson of one hour per week. I don't think this is really enough, so I will try to train at home. I have a lot of trouble with breakfalls, so I don't know what to do about that at home. Would a bunch of pillows do the job of protecting me? Is there a special mat that will break my fall, one I could use at home?

Thanks in advance!
RogierH

--
A road opens by entering it.

von k

Spectator

30 posts

Wednesday 17th October 2007 at 22:46

I found my mats on ebay. Check it out or any martial arts sites.

Work hard, train hard, play hard.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Thursday 18th October 2007 at 04:24

If you're new that I'd be weary of practice breakfalls at home. It just takes one bad fall to injure you pretty severely. I was teaching some throws with a 2nd dan once, he didn't do the fall correctly and was out for two weeks with an injured knee.

Pillows would be a bad idea, they are too soft and will slide around, as well as not being uniform. Try finding an old mattress or something.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

Prof. Akers

Spectator

15 posts

Thursday 18th October 2007 at 18:48

Be very certain that what you practice is what your instructor is teaching!
I hate it when a new student goes home, full of idealism, spends the next few days practicing what they think I taught them, then when they come back i have to spend time getting rid of the faults they've praciticed to perfection.
It's the same when I get black belts from other styles, the time it takes to get rid of the rubbish, sometimes it would be quicker to put them back to white belts and make them start again.

RogierH

Spectator

2 posts

Friday 19th October 2007 at 15:06

Thanks for the replies!

It's more that need to overcome the fear of falling than proper technique. (At least that's what my teacher says.)

By the way, Prof. Akers, when someone comes in from another style, isn't it mandatory that they start with a clean slate with you?

--
A road opens by entering it.

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Friday 19th October 2007 at 16:20

I'll field that one. It depends on how traditional the teacher is. If it's very traditional class then the instructor will make someone from another style start over. (I was a Soo Bahk Do white belt with a 3rd dan in Karate.) Non-traditional teachers don't do that, I'm actually assistant teaching Tae Kwon Do right now and have no official rank in it.

Sport clubs also wouldn't do that. It wouldn't be fair or fun to either party to go to a tournament and fight as a low rank when you've got a black belt in another style.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Saturday 20th October 2007 at 23:23

Webmaster (Robsco, I think,) do you have the ability to ban IP addresses on your forum. The previous poster has never posted a single credible sentence. Spam makes forums annoying.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 22nd October 2007 at 01:23

Hey Ninja,

No doubt it's not a static IP being used, don't worry tho, we'll soon see less of them when I get a bit of time to develop something.

The Admin Guy

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 30th October 2007 at 23:07

Well that's his/her posts gone, just need to spend a bit of time neatening things up now. :o)

The Admin Guy

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Wednesday 31st October 2007 at 00:42

:-) Now we can have real martial arts discussions.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ

Rickson Gracie

36 posts

Friday 2nd November 2007 at 08:50

Aah Robsco, you kick my azz! :(

*1995 Vale Tudo champion*
*BJJ Daddy*
*General all round Badass*

Payload

Spectator

12 posts

Saturday 3rd November 2007 at 08:02

you really need mats to use.. you could use a matress as has been mentioned but then that will be too soft and your not going to get the feel of a real fall so it wont really help all that much. A good mat is about as close as your going to get to practicing a real fall without having to worry about doing too much damage.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."

Prof. Akers

Spectator

15 posts

Monday 12th November 2007 at 13:31

RogerH, if someone comes from another style and they have a valid grading book (providing they have say a 4th kyu or above) why should I discount all that time and money they spent getting there.
I was invited to a shotokan school to see what they did (3rd dan at that time) I lined up and the instructor came over and ery embarrassed asked me quietly if I would go down the bottom with the white belts as I wasn't graded in their style!
I did.
I stumbled through their katas and marched like a little fat robot up and down the room, then we got to kumite.
End of.