Back to forum

UFC 81

Author Comments

Robsco

1319 posts

Monday 4th February 2008 at 22:32

I only managed to catch the last 2 fights, being Frank Mir vs Brock Lesnar, and Nogueira vs Tim Sylvia.

Both of which were absolutely spectacular. Brock Lesmar is obviously a powerhouse, and I must say I had my doubts, after not seeing much of Mir (although hearing a lot!).

For ground-n-pound Lesmar was a devastating force, I certainly wouldn't wanna be taking that beating, although saying that it did appear a tad sloppy.

Yet again the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in Mir took hold and snapped a very nice knee-bar, and it looked like it was right on the button, an inch here or there would have possibly seen a different outcome - pure class.

Nogueira's fight against Sylvia saw another battering taken, I'd be surprised if Nogueira could see fully from what looked like two pretty swollen eyes. After a few good attempts at a takedown, it was obvious Sylvia wasn't going down easy, especially in the 2nd round watching them dance.

The biggest dissapointment surely was Nogueira getting the takedown right on the bell at the end of the 1st round.

The final takedown and guillotine, with an arm inside showed the full devasting technique on show.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Tuesday 5th February 2008 at 09:00

Mir is a talented grappler but i thought lesnar looked the better fighter his wrestling was excellent his ground and pound did look a bit sloppy but three hundred pound hammer fists will do some damage!! I hope he gets another chance lets not forgot was only his second mma fight!

NOG NOG NOG NOG how much punishment did he take and what a guillotine!

spider

Regular

235 posts

Tuesday 5th February 2008 at 10:31

It was a pretty good strategy for a guy with his athletic ability to swarm Mir when you take into account some of his fights. Leg lock was always the obvious weak point against larger less experienced opponent.

Tim Sylvia used his usual take-down defence of grabbing the cage and letting go before the ref saw.
Joe Rogan said he doesn't know why so many people hate Sylvia, I have a huge list of reasons, does anyone else?

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 5th February 2008 at 23:02

I reckon Lesnar certainly will be a force in any future fights he has, Mir did take a bit of a beating before being able to apply the technique.

I've not seen that much of Sylvia to pass comment personally, although I've heard things on the grapevine, I need to watch a few of his fights first I think.

The Admin Guy

Kung-Fu

Spectator

31 posts

Friday 8th February 2008 at 04:59

I thought the entire card was good. Earlier on, one of Renzo Gracie's students and a long time mma fighter returned to the UFC and locked in a TIGHT arm inside guillotine, won the fight. I think his name was almeada but i dont know.

Mir was always one of my favorites and Im glad to see he's back to doin what he does best; submitting people fast. and of course i love to see sylvia get smashed.

Fu Jow Pai Kung Fu, Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

"He who conquers men has force, he who conquers himself is truly strong." -Lao Tzu

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 8th February 2008 at 18:41

Okay, so apart from grabbing the cage in a clinch, what's Sylvia done wrong?

The Admin Guy

Kung-Fu

Spectator

31 posts

Saturday 9th February 2008 at 19:57

he repeatedly says he is goin to "knock his ass out" whenever he talks about his upcoming opponent. this last fight is the best he has looked since he actually "knocked out" arlovski in the 2nd fight (arlovski wasnt even shook when he got up). truth be told, the last time he even looked impressive was when he literally knocked out tra telligman with a head kick.
he hasnt fully engaged in striking with an opponent since the 2nd arlovski fight and Couture exposed that weakness when he kicked his arse. and despite his perpetual lackluster performances, the UFC keeps giving that doofy giant title shots.

im sure he's a nice guy, but i dont like seeing him fight

Fu Jow Pai Kung Fu, Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Boxing

"He who conquers men has force, he who conquers himself is truly strong." -Lao Tzu

spider

Regular

235 posts

Sunday 17th February 2008 at 18:28

Tim has tested positive for drugs in the past.
Wears his belt shopping.
He talks a good fight, but then can make the most exciting match up boring. He doesn't engage, walks backwards at all times, stops the take down against the cage, then turns in and presses them agaist the cage without attempting anything until the bell. Boring, boring, boring.
That was a bad ref call against Andre, lucky for Tim.
He is only in the UFC for his height, he has no skill, and he's still a top competitor only because of favourable calls and scoring.
His scores don't reflect that he's lazy and not attempting to fight.
Lastly, the way the irritating, boring, lazy, cheating, gangly %$#@er looks.
I hate him for ruining so many fights and I want him to lose constantly until he is kicked out.

Robsco

1319 posts

Sunday 17th February 2008 at 19:55

So you're not keen on him then? :o)

The Admin Guy