Back to forum

Need a little advice

Author Comments

Tin

Spectator

1 posts

Thursday 6th March 2008 at 22:45

Hey, i'm really interested in starting jujitsu, but the only school anywhere near me teaches selfdefense rather than competition. Is this still ok? Will it put me at a big disadvantage if I wanted to go into competition? I'm a competetive person and know that if I start on something like this I'd want to test myself against others.

outkast

Spectator

39 posts

Wednesday 12th March 2008 at 17:19

tin most of what you would learn can be used in competion within reason if the club is any good you should also be doing randori anyway and not just learning them from static positions

the darkside is more fun

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 13th March 2008 at 23:11

You could do judo instead

Payload

Spectator

12 posts

Friday 14th March 2008 at 10:37

i'd rather train in one which focuses on self defence than competition.. at least it will be more usefull. Real fights dont have rules. You just have to remember when your in competition that arm breaking, eye gouging etc arent going to be something you can use :P

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,
those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.
Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 14th March 2008 at 18:50

Interesting, I think training in a competition style would be better since you can try out your technique for real, you just can't use dirty tactics.

A self defence approach will simply show you the techniques, but how many times do you try them against a defending partner swinging punches at you while you try a specific throw, etc.

The Admin Guy

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 15th March 2008 at 06:59

One of the reasons behind Kano's selections of jujitsu techniques that were to be incorporated into judo.

Goshin Ju-Jitsu Spain

Spectator

3 posts

Sunday 23rd March 2008 at 15:44

If competition is what you are looking for maybe jujitsu isnt the best style for you. Traditionaly Ju-Jitsu is a battlefield art. There are a lot of us that believe that competition Ju-Jitsu cant exist properly because of the destructive nature of the techniques. I personally enjoy the competative aspect of fighting and as outkast said any half decent club is going to allow you to practice in randory fashion and if this is enough for you then go for it but I agree with spider that if you only want the competition side then Judo would be better, that or find an MMA club.

puertorican_fighter

Spectator

15 posts

Monday 7th April 2008 at 01:14

is jujitsu and judo uniform the same?

your greatest enemy will always be, YOURSELF

spider

Regular

235 posts

Wednesday 9th April 2008 at 19:18

Kind of. Although because judoka and bjjers fight each other, their gi has to be thicker and double weave so it can't be ripped.
Trad jujitsu students may just get over charged by a wjf sensei for a karate gi with a club badge sewn on that turns the whole suit baby blue in a wash at 30 degrees.