Back to forum

Armwrestling for jujitsu

Author Comments

sherlockofsheff

Spectator

2 posts

Monday 17th March 2008 at 13:02

Hi
I'm new to jujitsu, and also to this site, but I'm really getting into it, and trying to complement my technique with some sport specific conditioning training. Looking at some of the techniques, I imagine that the muscle mechanics in applying locks are very similar to arm wrestling. Anyone any comments?

Cheers

Steve

Robsco

1319 posts

Tuesday 18th March 2008 at 00:03

Hey Steve,

Welcome to the site.

Arm-wrestling is all about strength, Ju-Jitsu is about technique and leverage, so shouldn't require that sort of approach.

Some Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu videos should help demonstrate that, with some guys beating other guys twice their size, etc.

The same should be true for traditional Ju-Jitsu but unfortunately it's not that well documented like BJJ tournaments, etc.

The Admin Guy

sl

Resident

855 posts

Wednesday 19th March 2008 at 13:28

dont think you could class arm wrestling as conditioning!

ninja9578

Regular

92 posts

Wednesday 19th March 2008 at 22:43

All that being said, it never hurts to have a little extra strength. If you're stronger than someone and at the same skill level you do have an edge.

Blue Belt - Gracie JJ
3rd Degree Black Belt - Shorin Ryu
Red Belt w/ two stripes - Soo Bahk Do

spider

Regular

235 posts

Friday 21st March 2008 at 10:40

Opposing some armlocks using only the arms own strength uses the same muscles and you will eventually tear the same things pro arm wrestlers do. The armlocks are designed for the person applying them to use two arms and bodyweight against the single arm whilst it is in a weak position.
Learn some escapes, and learn to appreciate Stallone's Over The Top for what it is, and no more.