Back to forum

New guy, Ju jutsu, Budo

Author Comments

The way

Spectator

3 posts

Wednesday 1st October 2008 at 18:03

Hi all. I'm new to the forum.
I've been doing boxing for half a year, and BJJ for half a year.
I realised after I quit boxing, that I'm not here for this. It is a good sport, but I felt no martial spirit in, so moved on to BJJ (I heard that it's very effective and so on, though it's not a Japanese martial art). After six months I had to move in the capital city, make a living, etc.
BJJ is okay, but I'm searcing for the martial spirit, the Budo. So I'm planning to start Traditional Ju Jutsu, and if I will have a chance even Kenjutsu, because I'm interested in Samurai Arts.
So, the main reason is for I'm taking up Jutsu is th WAY itself. Secondly I'm a small guy (weak too sadly), so self defense is a reason too.
Anyways, I have some questions.
Is there any kata in Traditional JJutsu? I've seen some videos, and there were schools where the student wore hakamas, and in the other, there were gis. What with that?

I've been searching for the martial art that fits me, I was thinking about which is effective etc. etc., but realised every one of the is effective, it depends on the martial artist. At higher levels, when you understand the way things work, understand the things of nature, then you are ready.

I would really appreciate any advice for further training.

Thank you.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 2nd October 2008 at 18:01

BJJ is a japanese art, it's the judo Mitsuyo Maeda taught Carlos Gracie. Maeda left the still developing teachings of Kano when ground techniques were in favour, and the favourite of Maeda. With no moral backbone or kata in Maeda's teachings, perhaps that was where the Budo was lost. With the westernisation and introduction of sport judo to the olympics, judo has also strayed from Kano's teachings, and with it Budo.

Where as you will find kata, and maybe even Budo at traditional Jujitsu or your final choice of martial art, you will find you lose the edge of fighting ability if you lose your chance to spar within your new club.

Most clubs I know wear gi. Hakamas I personally would associate with aikido or kendo.

The way

Spectator

3 posts

Thursday 2nd October 2008 at 18:25

Did the samurai spar, as you spar at your BJJ club? :D I don't think so. And they were able to defend themselves in the worst situations.
I don't want to flame, which is better.
But I'm always thinking about the old ways. There were no weight training, no steroids, nothing. It worked out well, I think.
If someone pulls a knife against you, BJJ goes out the window - IN MY OPINION! - whether you sparred or not. Think about it. You close the distance, take him down, and then mount a guy with a knife in his hand? No you won't.

But maybe you're right.

I don't say Trad. Jutsu will save me in such situation, but as much as I've seen it was developed more in that way. I rolled with BJJ guys, they're very strong, complete ground fighters.
In my opinion, randori is enough to test how things work, and if you want to test it for real,you spar harder with your instructors control.
That's what I think. No offence.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 2nd October 2008 at 19:40

Of course the samurai sparred, what do you think wooden swords are for? What do you think kendo is about?

I'm confused, at the begining of your post you disagreed the importance of sparring, at the end you agreed?

Anyway, I don't do BJJ, and never said whether anyone should or shouldn't. However, all I meant was make sure in your search for Budo, you also find a club that allows sparring (randori), which you seem to agree with.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Thursday 2nd October 2008 at 19:52

Also, following on but almost in a different subject.

The missus is going to uni, meaning I now have no car and have to babysit the exact same night judo was on. I have now been attending a traditional jujitsu club. It beats sitting at home, and is still of interest to me.

The other day, we were performing techniques in a line up, one person taking turns to counter attack the rest of the class (yes one at a time).
Now, I understand the importance of practising formal techniques, and I am always a good uke and do not act as a pain in the butt for anyone attempting a technique. However, I didn't realise that the guy escaping my 'front strangle' was attempting to throw me to the rear, nor did I realise his second attempt, and simply continued to simply step off his bearly hooking leg. He apologised, realising I didn't know the technique or where I should be going. It was very embarrasing, even for the whole class that was watching. The scary thing is that he is qualified to teach the escape.
Don't worry though, white belt I may be, but everyone's techniques will sharpen up when they practise with me and I don't know which way I'm supposed to theatrically dive.

P.s. I can't wait to 'learn' my first throw, a couple of guys have already felt my armbars and collar chokes.

The way

Spectator

3 posts

Thursday 2nd October 2008 at 20:01

It's hard to express what I want to say :D I want to say, sparring, randori is important, but for me, that's not all. Sometimes you don't have to fight to defend yourself. You find a way you can escape with, and it's all over. You learn how to step forward, how to overcome times when you're alone.
About the wooden swords... yes, you're right. I really wish to see them (samurai)in hand to hand combat sparring :D

Alansmurf

Spectator

21 posts

Sunday 5th October 2008 at 09:34

Spider ...

did the person throwing you not break your balance before attempting the throw ??

I have a link to O soto gari which might be useful ..about 42 seconds in !!
http://www.stainesjujitsu.co.uk/frameset.htm

regards

Smurf

Smurf