Back to forum

Drills and Exercises

Author Comments

Ashiro

Spectator

7 posts

Monday 8th December 2008 at 23:03

I do a lot of shadow sparring on top of my usual skills and strength training.

I just wondered if there were any solo JJ-specific drills I can add to this. The only ones I have found are:

* Sweeping (De Ashi Barai).
* Snake escapes
* Bridges

Surely there's more?

Tai Jutsu Kai
West Midlands, UK

spider

Regular

235 posts

Tuesday 9th December 2008 at 06:55

I run through all of my moves even if I haven't got a training partner, especially before a grading.

You can find more drills at judoinfo. I recommend 'turning in' or uchikomi to improve your entry to throws, you can also work up a good sweat with these, or just use them to warm up.

Ashiro

Spectator

7 posts

Tuesday 9th December 2008 at 14:26

Cheers! Much appreciated. I'd not noticed the drills and games at Judo Info before.

I'll give the throws and moves a go too. Going to be wierd without a partner but may help instill muscle memory at least.

Tai Jutsu Kai
West Midlands, UK

outkast

Spectator

39 posts

Tuesday 9th December 2008 at 19:19

try practicing your throws using rubber bands for power

the darkside is more fun

xoxrachxox

Spectator

1 posts

Tuesday 30th December 2008 at 22:19

sprawls, cartwheels, so many varieties of rolls and falls if you have the space. If u have a bag then you can practice switching positions and working on your base, or even without i like to go from lying down do crouching to standing up to exploding forward and if you do manage to find someone to train with then leapfrogs, pendulum, butterfly lifts are all good hope this helps :-)

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Friday 16th January 2009 at 20:47

Ive seen and used a heavy bag to train with, un-hook bag and try lunges, slamming bag down then lifting and pressing above head etc. Gripping and doing drills with a heavy bag improves grappleing core strength but is also good for cardio its a killer!!

Rickson Gracie

36 posts

Saturday 17th January 2009 at 21:45

Fist you have to make paint of fence, by making up and down motion with paintbrush.

Then you wax car using circular motion, like wax on, wax off.

Then sand floor in same way. At end of it you ready for any fight. This come from great jujitsu master. Thank you.

*1995 Vale Tudo champion*
*BJJ Daddy*
*General all round Badass*

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 17th October 2010 at 12:35

Judo have the right idea with what is termed 'uchi-komi' basically translated as 'turning -in' (to execute a throw). They practise static and dynamic turn ins, as repitition, gaining speed and accuracy, but just holding off on the final throwing action. 3 parts to any throw, tsukuri (setting up), kusushi(breaking of the opponents ballence and own ballence to deliver power) and nage wasa (the throw itself). Uchi-komi develops the first two parts, without which the third part doesn't work._

"Its not the size of the dog i

Robsco

1319 posts

Wednesday 8th December 2010 at 22:41

Will fix this damn spamming issue once and for all soon... :)

The Admin Guy