Back to forum

Starting Out Again

Author Comments

CallumLeach

Spectator

7 posts

Sunday 14th February 2010 at 17:39

Hello. I am a former 'brown' (editfix) belt from when I was younger and began classes at the age of 6. I quit due to my studies, on and off and for over a year at my GCSE's, and I am starting again the following week, now in college and with free time to peruse what I truly want to achieve in life. It has taken me till now to learn what opportunity is so please understand what I say.

This website has been imperative on reminding me of a few things. I only used to take one class a week and I managed to remember everything, and train my involuntary block reactions very effectively, which have helped me in scraps on the street!

Jujitsu is a fine art, especially traditional and I hope everybody here has had sufficient chance to learn it.

I have a question though, will furthering my practice, accelerate my reaction timing over a year or so, even at my adult age? I am worried from when I took a look at the beginners section that only taking one class a week might not be enough to help further my training at an adult age.

I would like to know if this is necessarily true? Because as far as I can see it, when it comes to dreams, aspiration, and forging my body in the iron of my will. Only I, can say. "I can't".

On top of that I do some forms of Mixed Martial Arts training about 3 times a week, to help me address real life combat situations, including sparring 'at the will of the practitioner' (usually without headgear other than gum shields as mad as it may seem to some people, but I see it as a vital learning opportunity, critical to conditioning yourself to getting hit), and a lot of Kick-boxing, and boxing work, with some grappling 'disarm techniques' involved.

Good luck to everybody here who has goals and dreams the same way I do! Any response (constructive criticism) would be greatly appreciated.

Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.

Mickrick

Spectator

20 posts

Sunday 14th February 2010 at 18:39

Well done Callum in taking up jits again...

rne02

Spectator

33 posts

Monday 15th February 2010 at 10:15

I wouldn't have thought one lesson a week woulD be enough for a beginner, but seeing as you have been a brown belt in the past then one lesson a week will help you get back into I would have thought yes. Whether it is enough for you to progress on from there, I am not sure, I guess it depends if you are also able to practise at home in addition to the one lesson.

You mention training your involuntary block reactions, that sounds very interesting, and was wondering if you had any tips on doing this you could share?

CallumLeach

Spectator

7 posts

Wednesday 17th February 2010 at 14:25

I reckon at a young age the reaction to block was allot easier to train and came naturally with the years of practice, and while the mind was developing as a child. Chances are it'd be harder to do now, but from what I know with my A* GCSE knowledge, shouldn't be impossible

When I'm in college so to say someone could throw a quick punch and it'd (my wrist) move by itself. Quite quickly might I add. I'm not sure on training the reactions, but the big wooden dummies with poles sticking out are meant to help speed up the reaction by training the muscles that you use to bring your arm into the guard, as a constant blocking exercise for an hour a day or so.

I'm no expert on human reactions, but what I do know about the nervous system is that you can tailor your body to have involuntary reactions even at an older age, it just takes more practise, and I'd assume that practise would have to take place during recreational time.

And if you need your proof just look at those people who solve rubix cubes in under 8 seconds, or people who play video games and train a reaction to the game-play. In competition jujitsu; I'd imagine it's the same principle, just different in what nerves are linked in the brain to produce the involuntary reaction.

The more you do something the stronger the connections between our nerves become after all. So perhaps the big wooden dummies are capable of stimulating the nervous system and your block reactions. Who knows?!

Do not deny the classical approach, simply as a reaction, or you will have created another pattern and trapped yourself there.