Back to forum

Spring hip throw

Author Comments

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Friday 16th April 2010 at 11:26

Am I the first to struggle with this move? Any pointers from anyone?

Robsco

1319 posts

Friday 16th April 2010 at 18:43

You're not alone, I remember it being a bit tricky, and to be honest, never saw the use of it myself.

The Admin Guy

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Monday 19th April 2010 at 14:11

Yes, I can't see myself ever using it. Probably because I'd fall over and look a bit of an idiot. Good to know I'm not alone!

samurai-spence

Spectator

1 posts

Monday 27th September 2010 at 12:17

it doesnt really matter if you dont see yourself doing it or not,theres loads of moves like that,but its part of the syllabus and you have to do it.my girlfriend broke her partners ankle doing this move although it was his fault for not doing his breakfall properly..

Davyk

Spectator

5 posts

Monday 1st November 2010 at 15:29

IMHO its only to give a bit of impetus if someone is resisting.

"Omotai mono de kare no atama wo nagaru"

steve

Resident

217 posts

Sunday 7th November 2010 at 14:06

Make sure your own weight / ballance is on your left foot with opponent pulled tight onto your right hip (yours just under his). Transfer weight even further onto left foot and turn your head & shoulders to the left, whilst symultaneously pulling your left arm (opponents right arm) forward and upwards and your right arm (hugging opponents waist / belt / trousers) upwards. When you feel opponent is at point of lifting off the ground, apply the spring / lift action of your right leg.

"Its not the size of the dog i

CraigP

Spectator

1 posts

Tuesday 23rd November 2010 at 17:47

I was told the reason for learning this throw is if you cock up a hip throw and dont get your hips through far enough you can use a spring hip.

Mobstarr

Spectator

45 posts

Sunday 16th January 2011 at 00:27

Try practicing Uchi Komi for a bit first to get you used to the movement. I still hate this throw but with time it will come. Also grabbing the belt can assist as well as practicing on a crash mat allowing for mistakes without injury! I tell my students with any throws like this to not over think it and go with the flow. Good Luck!

"Its not the chances we get in life, its what we do with them that matters"

2nd Dan Traditional Ju-Jitsu (Kensho Ryu & Kano Bushi Ryu)

"In the shadows, waiting for my time..."

www.pmaa.co.uk

The Taw

Spectator

3 posts

Saturday 11th February 2012 at 11:28

When I was practicing this throw for my grading, I was thinking about it too much. We do 2 variations of it as well.

When it came to grading time and the punches were coming thick and fast, it fell into place as there was no time to analyse it.

As it's part of the syllabus, it has to be done but it's not a throw I would try to use if it came down to it.