Back to forum

lower back pain

Author Comments

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Wednesday 5th May 2010 at 13:34

Hi everyone - quick question.

I've been practicing jujitsu for a couple of years now and over the last few months I've had bad lower back pain and I noticed it again this morning doing press-ups. I am beginning to suspect that the pain is linked ot landing during throws.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

connorT

Spectator

29 posts

Tuesday 11th May 2010 at 21:29

yes when i started doing bigger throws like hip throws, next time you go make sure you get a good warm up and strech your back

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Thursday 13th May 2010 at 10:45

Oh yes, I never train without warming up first. Maybe I just need to do some more stretching.

Maybe a cheeky wee sports massage is called for.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Saturday 15th May 2010 at 11:11

There are many reasons for back pain.

Bed, make sure yours isn't tired and worn out, if it is, it might be time for a new one.

Weight, if you're overweight, it's going to be affecting your back and...

Posture, something we all need to work on.

Simple exercises can help, not necessarily stretches, but strengthening and balancing your entire core will help avoid back pain, injury, and will increase your functional strength in all areas.
Make sure you're incorporating back extentions, obliques work, two point box and twisting exercises in your ab routines, as well as full body exercises that link your upper and lower body. Woodchops would be a good example, and it counts as a twisting exercise too.

Taking if further, eating healthy, deadlifts and kettlebell training will make your back bullet proof.

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Saturday 15th May 2010 at 20:03

Do you recommend kettlebells? They seem to have come out of nowhere and suddenly they're all the rage.

spider

Regular

235 posts

Wednesday 26th May 2010 at 17:56

Yes. They're over 300 years old, but gyms are finally turning to more functional training.
Beware the westernised versions with an aerobic class style that's ruining what people think kettlebell training is though.
16kg is men's starting weight, and if you can train for 10 mins on your first go without puking, you're doing it wrong.

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Monday 7th June 2010 at 11:25

That seems a bit extreme . . .

MrsMould.

Spectator

4 posts

Wednesday 9th June 2010 at 16:16

one of the reasons i had to give up JJ for 8 years was due to back problems, i have decided to return and hope i dont suffer as i used to before! mine was due to thrown and landing incorrectly!

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Thursday 10th June 2010 at 09:02

Oooh - sorry to hear that. Hope it works out a bit better for you this time!

MrsMould.

Spectator

4 posts

Friday 11th June 2010 at 14:24

thanks! going well so far!