Back to forum

Origins of British jujitsu

Author Comments

eugenemcfadden

Spectator

1 posts

Wednesday 23rd June 2010 at 10:57

Hi,
My name is Eugene McFadden and I am a senior student under Mark Thomas sensei at Fudoshin jujitsu. We are a small club of adults that broke away from Kevin Pell Hanshi's Ishin Ryu Jujitsu and we are currently working to adapt and change our syllabus to overcome some short comings. Part of this process has been my taking an interest in the evolution of jujitsu in Britain. Pell Hanshi was never particularly forthcoming in the precise details of his own experience, which has lead me to do some digging.

Having read and researched I can see that a Ishin Ryu is a break away of the WJJF, which seems to have been a creation of James Blundell, Richard Morris and Robert Clark. Pell Hanshi studied under them at the WJJF although the precise history is a little vague. I understand that there was some fraud that occurred which led to the WJJF breaking up, am I correct in this?

I also understand that what we take to be jujitsu is, in fact, a form of altered Judo that has been mixed with some other forms of wrestling, making it a gendai martial art as opposed to a traditional koryu. So what we do is not in fact jujitsu at all, which is a shame as I took it up because I was under the impression that it as a traditional Japanese art; not that this matters so much now.

Anyway...

I'm currently trawling the internet and bookshops looking for information on the development of jujitsu in Britain. I've put together a fairly robust time line (save for a few gaps) and have written an article on my blog.

Is there anyone who can supply any more information or any experiences they have had? Any information is good information.

Thanks,

Eugene McFadden

Eugene

mikeyBoab

Spectator

36 posts

Wednesday 23rd June 2010 at 13:13

Hi Eugene -

This is an excellent topic.

My understanding though is that the WJJF was created as a splinter of another group as the result of some sort of fraud allegations; the WJJF has remained (for the most part) in its original form but has grown considerably over the last 30 or so years.

Please keep us updated with your research.

rne02

Spectator

33 posts

Sunday 1st August 2010 at 21:45

Don't know if this will help?

http://www.practical-martial-arts.co.uk/practical_jujitsu/pt_shorthistory.html

StickyDrumGuy

Spectator

1 posts

Friday 13th August 2010 at 07:20

Found good source for hand target

Found some striking target mits at LDU Company out of China with free shipping to anywhere in the world. My friend bought a few first and then I got one in black. Price was cheap. I have seen others that were made of real leather but for what I do it works just fine. Martial arts stuff is on this page http://www.liangdianup.com/martialarts_1.htm or you can click through from the main page at www.LDUcompany.com

Just thought I would tell other people in case anyone out there was looking for some.

YANGSHUANG

steve

Resident

217 posts

Monday 18th October 2010 at 15:44

Dr Rod Scharnoski & James Blundel, none of it really authentic.

"Its not the size of the dog i

Davyk

Spectator

5 posts

Monday 1st November 2010 at 15:24

i teach and train at the lowlands club in west derby which is under kenny blundell who is soke blundells son. the wjjf was originally under the same banner as us but split years ago to be their own assoc. we are now under the british jujistu association.

"Omotai mono de kare no atama wo nagaru"